Monday, March 31, 2008

Tomorrow's the big day!

With only one more day until the baby's due date, we can't help but get more excited. Another doctor's visit this morning showed that I'm now 90% effaced and 3cm dilated. I'm making a lot of progress for not being in "real" labor. The doctors have said several times now that many moms spend the majority of their labor getting to 3cm. Having started there, maybe my labor will be shorter in the end. I can only hope.

The doctor also said they'd probably want to induce labor next Monday if the baby has still not arrived. I'm actually fairly against that idea. Everything I've read has said that induction has a higher risk of c-section, something that I'd prefer to avoid. Plus, one week past the due date is not abnormal for the baby to arrive. I'll be more willing to consider that option at two weeks late. Of course, if Baby Cowles shows up this week, then we won't even have to have that discussion with the doctor. (Everyone think good thoughts and keep your fingers crossed!) We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Looks like lots of us have lost out on the baby pool so far. I guess he wasn't planning on coming super early, as I had expected. He was sure showing signs of it but seems to have decided to take his time. We'll see if he decides to be an April Fool's baby. No sign of it yet today though.


Matt said...

I totally agree with you on the induction. Unless there are health risks, let Chuckie Jr introduce himself when he's ready.

Samantha said...

I veto the name "Chuckie Jr" :-) Am I allowed to do that?